Friday, September 9, 2011

Stage 1 Value Painting: Pears and Cherries



We began practice 1 of painting today using black and white oil paint to begin our focus on value. We began our process by first applying a grey foundation coat to the entire canvas, then outlining our major lines in black paint, and finally giving each subject an initial tonal value. After the major subjects were in place, the next step was to add dimensionality to the objects by bringing in shadows and highlights. This is the step where my piece is at now. I started the process of shading by spending much time looking back and forth from my still life to my canvas to see where the light is landing on the objects and where light is being blocked from. It was very easy for me to get enthralled in painting. It was quite relaxing and exciting as images started to gain shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment